The full list of nominees.
The nominees for the 2010 Eisner Awards have been announced. Many deserving, some inexplicable.
Looking over some the major categories:
Best Single Issue (or One-Shot)
- Brave & the Bold #28: "Blackhawk and the Flash: Firing Line," by J. Michael Straczynski and Jesus Saiz (DC)
- Captain America #601: "Red, White, and Blue-Blood," by Ed Brubaker and Gene Colan (Marvel)
- Ganges #3, by Kevin Huizenga (Fantagraphics)
- The Unwritten #5: "How the Whale Became," by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (Vertigo/DC)
- Usagi Yojimbo #123: "The Death of Lord Hikiji" by Stan Sakai (Dark Horse)
A rather eclectic group here. I like Captain America getting a nomination, but #601 is a really odd choice. I'm guessing Gene Colan's name drew the attention. The Unwritten #5 (the Rudyard Kipling issue) is the best issue of these, I think, and given the critics' love of Vertigo, probably the likely winner.
Best Continuing Series
- Fables, by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha, Andrew Pepoy et al. (Vertigo/DC)
- Irredeemable, by Mark Waid and Peter Krause (BOOM!)
- Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa (VIZ Media)
- The Unwritten, by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (Vertigo/DC)
- The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman and Charles Adlard (Image)
I read the the two Vertigo titles here in trade, both very good. Heavy representation of the minor imprints and publishers here.
Best Limited Series or Story Arc
- Blackest Night, by Geoff Johns, Ivan Reis, and Oclair Albert (DC)
- Incognito, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (Marvel Icon)
- Pluto: Urasawa X Tezuka, by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki (VIZ Media)
- Wolverine #66-72 and Wolverine Giant-Size Special: "Old Man Logan," by Mark Millar, Steve McNiven, and Dexter Vines (Marvel)
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young (Marvel)
Incognito would get my vote; strong showing from Marvel/Icon in this category.
- Ed Brubaker, Captain America, Daredevil, Marvels Project (Marvel) Criminal, Incognito (Marvel Icon)
- Geoff Johns, Adventure Comics, Blackest Night, The Flash: Rebirth, Superman: Secret Origin (DC)
- James Robinson, Justice League: Cry for Justice (DC)
- Mark Waid, Irredeemable, The Incredibles (BOOM!)
- Bill Willingham, Fables (Vertigo/DC)
- Darwyn Cooke, Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter (IDW)
- R. Crumb, The Book of Genesis Illustrated (Norton)
- David Mazzuccheilli, Asterios Polyp (Pantheon)
- Terry Moore, Echo (Abstract Books)
- Naoki Urasawa, Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Pluto: Urasawa X Tezuka (VIZ Media)
Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team
- Michael Kaluta, Madame Xanadu #11-15: "Exodus Noir" (Vertigo/DC)
- Steve McNiven/Dexter Vines, Wolverine: Old Man Logan (Marvel)
- Fiona Staples, North 40 (WildStorm)
- J. H. Williams III, Detective Comics (DC)
- Danijel Zezelj, Luna Park (Vertigo/DC)
It was for a good cause, Roy.