|causticlad (causticlad) wrote in scans_daily,|
@ 2012-01-31 05:28 pm UTC
|Entry tags:||char: max, char: sam, creator: steve purcell, genre: comedy, theme: dude in distress week|
After a case takes them to the Philippines, Max is kidnapped. Sam tracks him to a live volcano by following a trail of parts Max has chewed off of his abductors. There our lagomorphic friend is about to be sacrificed to the Volcano God by Volcano Cultists. Sam attempts to turn their superstition against them. It does not go well:
Awww, poor Sam! I don't want him to die! He owes me five bucks.
Things look dire for our heroes! Distress ensues!
Fortunately, a surreal deus ex machina saves the day! And Sam's final words are, for my money, the funniest single line in the history of comics:
Without mercy our heroes push all the cultists into the volcano, whose mega-sacrifice wakes the God. Then Max saves the homebound plane from hijackers and is macked on by a stewardess clearly lifted from Steve Purcell's pal Art Adams. The End.
 - "Bosco! Sam is standing right here!"
 - "Drawn without reference material, apparently."
 - "Won't be much left of the driver."
 - "They had torches and Frankenstein rakes!"
 - "Let's blow this joint!" "Lest we be trod upon!" "I hate when you say, 'lest we be trod upon!"
 - I am not a footnote number, I am a free man!