I think this is three Jason Todd-focused stories now - The Hill and the Black Label mini being #1 and #2 - that've done " Drop him into an entirely different context so he's not entirely The Bad Son/One. "
(This is still evoking that, though, with the use of Dick: " Like usual. ")
DC's desperation to keep Jason relevant yet distinct as the delinquent member of the Bat-family without him going so far that Bruce would feel obligated to shut him down...
When Jason Todd started out his whole thing was he wanted to be the best. It was a very shonen superhero as self-improvement thing. Then one day he had the gall to ask the question "hey what do we do about people we can't reform or scare and that for whatever reason the system can't handle" and Editorial has never stopped punishing him for it.
His death at the hands of the Joker has be rectoned to being due to reasons other than his own mother betraying him and his decision to start killing has been rectoned to be about anger at being hurt rather than frustration that the adults in his life were going to let a rapist who drove a woman to suicide just walk away because "the rules" said so.
I will enjoy this series for all 6 or 12 issues that it gets.
Bold move for DC to relaunch Teen Titans, Legion, and Doom Patrol on the same day, given the history and expectations behind all three properties, and of course them being team books.
I do like these characters, and I hope Eugene Choi continues to get some focus even without the Shazam powers.
I think Dick's message to Jason at the end is a little more dickish than usual for him, but I can also see him being frustrated by their fractious pseudo-siblinghood. I like the idea of Jason mentoring these heroes, who are clearly young, impetuous, and not wanting to be sidelined, solely to piss off the more patient, responsible people.
I really need to know if Lian's allowed on the Watchtower after the Rob The Justice League series. That just seems like something that would kill your reputation in the hero community.
You betray the Justice League to help your murderous mom and her cannibal bestie steal the superhuman equivalent of a nuclear warhead *one time* and people never let you hear the end of it! I mean, come on, that's so unfair! Cheshire committing genocide isn't even in continuity anymore, probably.
I'm not sure Jason taking long term responsibility for a bunch of powered kids, when he's shown no interest in mentoring ever, JUST to piss of Dick, is long term sustainable without a major personality shift, but we shall see,
I mean it's very younger sibling-ish, but this is involving other people.
Also how will Mr Terrific feel when he finds out, I wonder?
The art style looked familiar from another series, and yup. Daniele Di Nicuolo was the artist on C.O.R.T. (Children of the Round Table). I really enjoyed that one, and it's good to see they're getting more work from DC.
(It's just... having a dead wife was kind of a major part of his origin during the Johns days, and having to try and raise a son on top of all that seems like it would've come up... Damn retcons.)
Founded by girl geeks and members of the slash fandom, scans_daily strives to provide an atmosphere which is LGBTQ-friendly, anti-racist, anti-ableist, woman-friendly and otherwise discrimination and harassment free.
Bottom line: If slash, feminism or anti-oppressive practice makes you react negatively, scans_daily is probably not for you.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-02 04:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-02 05:23 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-02 06:32 pm (UTC)(This is still evoking that, though, with the use of Dick: " Like usual. ")
no subject
Date: 2026-09-02 11:21 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-02 11:58 pm (UTC)When Jason Todd started out his whole thing was he wanted to be the best. It was a very shonen superhero as self-improvement thing. Then one day he had the gall to ask the question "hey what do we do about people we can't reform or scare and that for whatever reason the system can't handle" and Editorial has never stopped punishing him for it.
His death at the hands of the Joker has be rectoned to being due to reasons other than his own mother betraying him and his decision to start killing has been rectoned to be about anger at being hurt rather than frustration that the adults in his life were going to let a rapist who drove a woman to suicide just walk away because "the rules" said so.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-02 10:11 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-02 11:19 pm (UTC)Bold move for DC to relaunch Teen Titans, Legion, and Doom Patrol on the same day, given the history and expectations behind all three properties, and of course them being team books.
I do like these characters, and I hope Eugene Choi continues to get some focus even without the Shazam powers.
I think Dick's message to Jason at the end is a little more dickish than usual for him, but I can also see him being frustrated by their fractious pseudo-siblinghood. I like the idea of Jason mentoring these heroes, who are clearly young, impetuous, and not wanting to be sidelined, solely to piss off the more patient, responsible people.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-03 12:16 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-03 12:37 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-03 10:49 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-03 11:04 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-03 07:41 am (UTC)I mean it's very younger sibling-ish, but this is involving other people.
Also how will Mr Terrific feel when he finds out, I wonder?
no subject
Date: 2026-09-03 10:55 am (UTC)Which also primarily about pissing off Dick, come to think of it.
And Scarlet just disappeared after that.
...yeah, this is a terrible idea.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-03 12:40 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-03 02:23 pm (UTC)(It's just... having a dead wife was kind of a major part of his origin during the Johns days, and having to try and raise a son on top of all that seems like it would've come up...
Damn retcons.)