Storm vs. Black Panther!!!!!!
Aug. 29th, 2012 10:26 am
This is from AVX Versus #5, by Jason Aaron and Tom Raney.
Storm is battling Black Panther. Panther uses the counter-measures that he had planned for her to neutralize her weather powers.



They kiss.

We see Storm flying off and Black Panther walking away. Storm's ring lies on the ground. "Winner: ? There are no winners here."

no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 02:42 pm (UTC)i mean yeah its "A" reason to stay married but.. really Storm?
Also i don't like the art here. i mean they are well drawn, but the fighting, i don't know it should have been more viceral.
also did she HAVE to get shamed by the Wakandan people? i know this was supposed to be a "NO winners fight" but what should have been a great issue was just.. ugh...
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:12 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 02:51 pm (UTC)Just another example of how Marvel botched something with immense potential.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 04:43 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 02:54 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:55 pm (UTC)I think that that only lasted a few issues though.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 02:59 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 04:42 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:05 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:20 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:07 pm (UTC)".... for me to see what a terrible husband you are!"
Go Storm :)
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:24 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:25 pm (UTC)i disagree.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:26 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:25 pm (UTC)This is nothing BUT consensual domestic violence. To me, this isn't all that different from Hank hitting Jan (Which Storm and Black Panther are both guilty of to each other), especially since they have little reason to start hitting eachother... your HEROES guys, be an example.
You won't kill bad guys who somewhat need to be taken out, but you'll hospitalise each other over disagreements?!
Storm without the cape and stupid headdress is pretty cool looking, i like the art.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 04:59 pm (UTC)Here the two of them are fighting because they're horribly, emotionally stunted people who can't resolve their obvious issues with word, with Storm coming off worse, since at least T'Challa appears to be defending himself instead of just throwing haymakers while calling him a bad husband.
This is a really bad handling of the break-up.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 03:33 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 04:08 pm (UTC)This comic is endorsing domestic abuse, and unlike storm, most women don't have superpowers.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 04:13 pm (UTC)Ummm.... what? I think I know what you're trying to say, but I suspect it's lost a bit in the phrasing here.
And though it's not the point, I don't think Storm is using her powers here, she's facing T'challa on an equal footing.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:Mod note
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 04:46 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:05 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:03 pm (UTC)I greatly preferred this when it was just the cold-hearted annulment, yeah BP came off as a raging dick, but a raging dick who was justifiably upset and not thinking straight, and Storm got goodwill from the fans. Here Storm comes off as the aggressor, and a kinda unlikable one at that.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 09:37 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:17 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:30 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:24 pm (UTC)Villains are now Heels and Heroes are now Faces.
And the various junior up and comer types are those in development working to break into the big leagues.
That setting would better explain this crossover event at least.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:34 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:32 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 05:48 pm (UTC)The rest of it made me want to punch someone at Marvel, but that stuff made me laugh.
Marvel....
Date: 2012-08-29 06:09 pm (UTC)Re: Marvel....
Date: 2012-08-29 06:31 pm (UTC)The 'T'ch' stuff is really, really bad, though.
Re: Marvel....
From:Re: Marvel....
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 06:30 pm (UTC)Why are you two fighting!? I know that's the entire point of this book (and the entire event), but what is your motivation?? He was "a terrible husband", so your solution to that is to kick him in the face so hard you rip off the lower half of his mask (how does that even work)?
This just seems so out of character for Storm. Sure, a lot of superheroes, perhaps X-Men especially, leap to violence as a first answer, but I don't really see her doing that. And the line "not the cape" just seems petulant and childish.
And I know Storm is tough and even used to fighting in hand-to-hand combat without her powers, but I don't think she could take on Black Panther in melee. Even if, as other commenters have said, he wasn't really fighting back, he could still have been defending himself. I mean, the fight scene's not bad--it's pretty well drawn, the action flows well, and the two look like competent fighters. But I don't think Storm would really be in BP's league in hand-to-hand.
Also, what on earth is Storm doing in that second panel? Reminds of that terrible Psylocke drawing....
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 06:32 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:Re: Marvel....
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 06:33 pm (UTC)So of course that's what's going to happen.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 06:50 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-29 10:13 pm (UTC)One the one hand this looks like a pretty solid brushing under the carpet of Hudlin's racist and sexist wank fantasy, and the smorgasbord of logical fallacies needed to keep it existing.
On the other hand, as many others have commented, this is still a badly written and badly worded scene, which further makes both characters look worse.
It speaks pretty badly of a comic like this when a genuine OMD scenario may well have been a better choice at retconning the marriage.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-30 12:39 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-09-06 07:34 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-08-30 10:45 pm (UTC)Storm/Black Panther marriage was a joke from the start due to how it came about. From there about 95% of the time it was still treated as a joke all the way to here.
Then you have the Peter/MJ.
I'm just glad Reed and Sue are still together.
no subject
Date: 2012-08-31 12:09 am (UTC)I'm just glad Reed and Sue are still together.
Though we still had the break up in Civil War where she wrote
"My darling Reed ...
I know Johnny's out of the hospital and the family is back together again. I know I should be happy, but I'm not.
I'm so ASHAMED of you right now, and ashamed of myself for supporting your fascistic plans. I hate what I've become, and that's why I'm joining Cap's SECRET AVENGERS team.
Please understand: This is not another cry for attention. This is not me trying to distract you from your all-important work.
This is because our hands are soaked in Black Goliath's BLOOD and you're so blinded by your graphs and social projections that you can't even SEE it.
Johnny and I will be working UNDERGROUND from now on, and that's obviously no place for Franklin and Valeria {the other kids}.
That's why I've left them in your care and beg you to give them the time you have so often DENIED them in the past.
I also didn't want your last memory of me to be tainted with all the blazing fights we've had in recent weeks.
Hence the oily-fish dinner (good brain-food), the bottle of your favorite claret (an excellent anti-oxidant) and making love one final time (good for the immune system).
I hope I don't look like a coward for leaving this way. I hope you don't think I'm a bad wife or, worse still, a bad mother.
I'm doing this for the best of reasons and pray that your genius can RESOLVE this thing before one side ends up slaughtering the other.
I love you, Reed. More than anything in the world.
Please fix this.
Susan.
XXX"
But that's okay, because she went back to him as if nothing had happened.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2012-08-31 02:48 am (UTC)Ororo: STORM HEADBUTT!
Moral of the story: Norrin Radd should've learned to fight dirty